Fabio Maniscalco, direttore dell'Osservatorio Permanente per la Protezone dei Beni Culturali ed Ambientali in Area di Crisi, ha inviato questo appello alle massime Autorità israeliane e libanesi, finalizzato al rispetto della Convenzione de L’Aja del 1954.
Invitiamo quanti siano preoccupati per la salvaguardia del patrimonio culturale del Libano e, più in generale, del Medio Oriente, a divulgare l’Appello stesso ed a sostenerlo, nelle forme che riterranno più utili, nelle sedi opportune.
INTERNATIONAL OBSERVATORY FOR THE PROTECTION OF CULTURAL HERITAGE IN AREAS OF CRISIS
Naples, 15 July 2006
To the President of Israel, H.E. Moshe KATZAV
To the Prime Minister of Israel, H.E. Ehud OLMERT
To the President of Lebanon, H.E. Emile LAHUD
To the Prime Minister of Lebanon, H.E.Fuad SINIORA
Copy to: the General Secretary of UNESCO the Head of Governments parties to The Hague Convention of 1954
U.N. General Secretary
The undersigned Dr. Prof. Fabio Maniscalco, as Director of the “International Observatory for the Protection of Cultural Heritages in Areas of Crisis", and on behalf of all those who wish to sign this appeal,
- Following the various armed conflicts of the last century, after a hard and sometimes contradictory process, the International Community has recognized some juridical instruments finalized to safeguarding cultural heritage in conflict areas. We refer, in particular, to the 1954 Hague Convention for the Protection of Cultural Property in the Event of Armed Conflict;
- In the Preamble of the Hague Convention of 1954, States parties recognize that “…damage to cultural property belonging to any people whatsoever means damage to the cultural heritage of all mankind, since each people makes its contribution to the culture of the world” and that “…the preservation of the cultural heritage is of great importance for all peoples of the world and that it is important that this heritage should receive international protection”;
- During the long-lasting and endless crisis in the Middle East, a huge amount of cultural and religious heritage have been destroyed, damaged or stolen by conflicting factions;
- Israel and Lebanon have signed the 1954 Hague Convention (in 1957 and in 1960).
CALLS UPON THE GOVERNMENT OF ISRAEL AND OF LEBANON
- To make aware Israeli and Lebanese Defense Forces for the respect of its and others historical and cultural identity and to adopt any useful measure to observe the provision of the 1954 Hague Convention, for the Protection of Cultural Property in the Event of Armed Conflict, in the territories of Lebanon and of Israel.
Dr. Prof. Fabio Maniscalco
Scientific Address: c/o “Facoltà di Studi Arabo-Islamici e del Mediterraneo”- University “L’Orientale”
Via Nuova Marina n. 59 – 80100 Naples (Italy) – tel. (0039) 0816902262 - 3387011247 - fax 0816903396
Private Address: Viale Colli Aminei n. 461, “Parco Coravide”, lotto 15 – 80131 Naples (Italy)
Web pages: http://web.tiscali.it/osservatoriobc - http://www.webjournal.unior.it - Email: firstname.lastname@example.org